Who doesn’t love a good chocolate chip cookie?!? These Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are a favorite of my hubby and daughter. Between the brown butter and all of the chocolate chips these cookies are SO GOOD and so easy to make.
You start by browning your butter and letting it cool for 20 minutes.
Making Brown Butter:
- Place your pan over medium heat.
- Add the butter. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula continuously stir the butter.
- Keep stirring the butter until it foams and turns a dark brown color. It’s easy to burn the butter( I burned the butter twice before finally getting it right) so stay close.
In a mixing bowl add brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Once brown butter is cool add to the mixing bowl and combine well with a rubber spatula.
Fold in the flour and mix in the chocolate chips. Scoop out the cookie dough and place at least 2-inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes at 350.
I love that this recipe is so simple and you can change it up by adding in some of your favorites. You can add nuts like pecans or walnuts and even sea salt on the top as soon as they come out of the oven.
These cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days and frozen for up to 30 days.
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt both sticks of butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil. When it starts to boil stir the butter until the foamy phase passes and it becomes a dark color.
- Remove the butter from heat and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Once the butter is cooled pour it over these ingredients and combine well using a rubber spatula.
- Mix in the flour until the dough forms and mix in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough onto the lined baking sheet with a cookie scoop, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until the edges are lightly golden.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookie to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- If desired, sprinkle a small amount of flaked sea salt on top of the cookies as they are cooling.