We buy bananas weekly when doing our grocery shopping. Normally we go through them within the first few days of buying them. Sometimes we forget they are there and they end up going bad, which I hate of course. When I see them starting to turn and get soft I always make a loaf of Nutty Banana Bread.
Here is a recipe that is super simple to make and full of walnuts.
- 1 3/4 Cups bread flour
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 3 Ripe bananas
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup margarine softened
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup walnuts
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Stir together to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine margarine and sugar. Mix together until fluffy. Add in bananas, eggs & milk. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until the flour is mixed in.
- Add the remaining half of the ingredients along with 1/2 of the walnuts. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and top with remaining walnuts.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. To know if its done you can inert a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean its done.
This bread is so delicious and I love that it can be eaten as breakfast or dessert.
*I like to use bruised bananas in this recipe. They are ripe, soft and easy to mash. If you don’t have bread flour you can use all purpose flour. I store our flour and walnuts in the freezer when we are not using them for longer storage.